I am attempting to record my running adventures while chasing my goal of running the Western States 100. I want to chronicle the joy of running with friends, the fun of running alone, and the excitement of running trails.

I run primarily in the Houston area, which suffers from a trail deficiency. I also spend some time in the Austin area. I love to race and I enjoy using races as training runs for other races. Occassionally, I will get over excited on my "training race/runs" and run too fast (go figure). Luckily, I have a trail-ultra running husband who understands this craziness and tries to keep me grounded (not to mention hydrated, rested, and paced properly.)

I want to share my ups and downs, my successes and failures and try to keep motivated to my ultimate goal. Plus, if I share all of my bone-headed mistakes with you-- you will not have to make them!



Saturday, June 4, 2011

Western states training runs - Memorial weekend Day 1

So, last week we headed to California to run the Western States training runs. By "we" I mean Bruce, Allen, Denise, and me. We were running 30 miles on Saturday, 20 miles on Sunday and another 20 on Monday. We were doing all of this on the actual race course for Western States. This run gives runners an idea of what to expect on race day. Also, you get to run the portions of the trail that you will be doing in the dark on race day.

Bruce and I arrived at about 8:30 pm and met Denise and Allen at the car rental counter. We then made a quick stop at the grocery for running supplies. We finally got to the hotel and ready for bed at about 11 pm. The buses for the next day's run left at 7:30 - so we still got a fair amount of rest.

First morning! Excitement in the air. It was a chilly 48 degrees. We were informed that due to the large quantities of snow in the high country, we would have to run an alternate route that did not include "Devil's Thumb." Devil's thumb is the hardest climb and the place where most people drop out of the race. It is a psychological advantage to do it in training. I will not have that luxury.

Me, Tim, Bruce and Allen (in back)
We are all standing around and we see Tim Twietmeyer standing at the start. Bruce is his FB friend and Tim knew we were coming. We got some photos, training tips, and we were off on the buses. Denise opted to volunteer that day (which would turn out to be a fabulous choice- she was a mover and shaker and made lots of important contacts. Not to mention all the training, crewing and running tips.) When we got off of the bus, it was just go whenever you want. Bruce, Allen, and I take off. Next thing I know, we are running with Tim Twietmeyer!! I know that I am a trail running geek- but it was really fun to run next to one of the best for the first two miles. Bruce and Allen decided to run together and I headed off on my own. I met a lot of great people on the trail- everyone has a tip or two about running "States."

We ran from Green gate to Foresthill, then up to Michigan Bluff, turned around and came back to Foresthill. Essentially, we ran part of the course In the reverse direction and then came back. At least we got a lot of climbing! Allen claims that it was 80/20 climbing to downhill (of course for the rest of the weekend everything was 80/20 or 20/80 according to Allen). I don't know about all that- but it was a LOT of climbing. I came in at 6:33, 30.5 tough miles; I even finished in front of Tim! (Of course he stopped for over an hour at aid stations....but still). :).

We all spotted Gordy Ainsliegh (founder of the race) on the trails going in the opposite direction.  Bruce and Allen stopped to chat and pose for photos on the trail (see photo on right).  Bruce finished in 8:30- Allen decided to stop at 18 (which may not have been such a bad idea when considering it as only the first day.) In all- an excellent run.

Course: Mountainous/ very hilly
Terrain: Moderate to very technical
Mistakes: Not washing off poison ivy right away (this will bite later- literally)
Lessons: My running coach's hill workouts do pay off. I passed tons of people on the uphills. Thanks Tim Neckar!!

1 comment: