I am attempting to record my running adventures while chasing my goal of running the Western States 100. I want to chronicle the joy of running with friends, the fun of running alone, and the excitement of running trails.

I run primarily in the Houston area, which suffers from a trail deficiency. I also spend some time in the Austin area. I love to race and I enjoy using races as training runs for other races. Occassionally, I will get over excited on my "training race/runs" and run too fast (go figure). Luckily, I have a trail-ultra running husband who understands this craziness and tries to keep me grounded (not to mention hydrated, rested, and paced properly.)

I want to share my ups and downs, my successes and failures and try to keep motivated to my ultimate goal. Plus, if I share all of my bone-headed mistakes with you-- you will not have to make them!



Sunday, June 5, 2011

Western States Training Run - Day 3

So this is where the determination to finish overrides your body's desire to stop. When we got up this morning, Bruce and I could tell that we had run two hard days in a row. My calves were killing me with each step. Allen was sore too- but to a lesser degree and Denise seemed to be fine at breakfast. Today we were running the last 20 miles of the course from Green Gate to the finish at Placer High School. This will be Bruce's section to run with me on race day. We both really wanted to see this section, but we were both still pretty sore.

We learned why the downhills stop being a welcome sight and become something that you dread. My calves were screaming as we started down the first 2 miles (all that powering uphill had come back to haunt me!!!).   I decided to run with Bruce and Allen for this run. We had a new video camera and they had been using it the other days. I wanted to run with them to take some video, be in some of it, and to try to take it easy on the last day. Also, I did not know if I was capable if running much faster than the pace that we were keeping. This is a pretty tough section of the trail. It was also some of the most beautiful sections of trail. After a few miles, all of us started to loosen up and feel a little bettter. It was the warmest day that we had so far and it was taking it's toll. We kept going and tried to cheer each other by picking on each other - but even that was no good sometimes.

No Hands Bridge was a welcomed sight for all of us. We trotted across like it was the finish line. We got some refreshment at the aid station and headed in to the finish. Another cruel WS joke, the last 3.5 miles from No Hands Bridge is uphill!! WTF? We all made it in between 5:30 and 5:45. Not bad for 22 miles of difficult terrain after 2 consecutive days of running. No fanfare, no bands playing- just a few volunteers sitting there saying "good job." :)

Denise came in with the sweepers and another friend she had made in the trail. We all had such a good time but it was some of the hardest running that we had ever done. BEST TRAINING RUN EVER!






Mistakes: Powering uphill to aggressively the first 2 days (poor calves)
Not washing poison ivy off right away!!!! Can't stress this enough!

Terrain/course: technical, some pavement at end. Hilly, mountainous

Hydration/ nutrition: experimented with taking in more gel- good results. Every 40-45 mins

Issues: 2 small blisters on heels after 2 day. No pain, monitor in future.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer,

    You were crushing it on those three days on the trail. Other than the weather, that was a great three days of trail running. It was nice to share a few miles with you on Saturday. You weren't the only one with poison oak. That's what Tecnu Extreme is for.

    The good news is that it's warming up this week, it should be almost 90 by Friday. The bad news is that it snowed another six inches at Squaw last night. If you want to follow the snow (not) melting, go here: http://www.squaw.com/high-camp-cam
    If you wand over the picture titled Emigrant Peak, that's the last 1+ miles over the ridge from High Camp at Squaw. It's all downhill from there, kinda.

    Really, you looked strong on the trails, I hope you take it easy on your pacers. I work the finish line from midnight to 6am and it would be an honor to hang a finisher medal around your neck.

    Rest up and we'll see you back out here in the Sierras in a couple of weeks.

    Tim Twiet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to it. As far as the finisher medal- why don't you go take a nap after your shift, then come back and give me my medal? Lol.

    Really, it was great talking to you and thanks for all the insider tips. See ya at the "big show."

    ReplyDelete