I am attempting to record my running adventures while chasing my goal of running the Western States 100. I want to chronicle the joy of running with friends, the fun of running alone, and the excitement of running trails.

I run primarily in the Houston area, which suffers from a trail deficiency. I also spend some time in the Austin area. I love to race and I enjoy using races as training runs for other races. Occassionally, I will get over excited on my "training race/runs" and run too fast (go figure). Luckily, I have a trail-ultra running husband who understands this craziness and tries to keep me grounded (not to mention hydrated, rested, and paced properly.)

I want to share my ups and downs, my successes and failures and try to keep motivated to my ultimate goal. Plus, if I share all of my bone-headed mistakes with you-- you will not have to make them!



Sunday, June 12, 2011

Team J.E.T.T. Crew Meeting 06/11/11

From Left to Right: Marilyn, Denise, Me, Bruce, Allen and Becky
Team J.E.T.T. (Jennifer Evans' Trail Team) met at Empire Cafe' to discuss logistics for the upcoming WS run.  We discussed all that we could think of for the race, assigned specific duties to crew members; made lists and generally got excited about our upcoming trip.  We also discussed some of the specific things that I would like the crew to do for me during the race (there is more than you would think- I am going to be pretty demanding).

Crew: Becky, Denise and Marilyn
Pacers: Allen (Foresthill to Green Gate- approx. miles 60-80) and Bruce (Green Gate to Finish Line approx. miles 80-100)

I am so fortunate to have a group of dedicated friends willing to fly to California, stay up all night, drive around on small mountain roads, tend to a cranky runner, coordinate tons of gear, corral a couple of great pacers, and make sure I get to the finish line.  I can never say thank you enough.

As for my two pacers- the mere fact that you guys are willing to run 20 miles on this difficult trail (some of it in the dark) to make sure I am safe and on pace to finish....well, I can never express my gratitude adequately. You are wonderful people and I am lucky to have you in my life.  Allen, this will be the second time that you are pacing me to finish a 100 miles- you are terrific.  I am amazed that you are willing to do it again- I was pretty cranky the first time.  Bruce- you have been incredible.  You have organized meetings, made travel arrangements, ordered t-shirts and helped me try to remember everything.  Thank you so much- I love you lots.

Ok, enough sappy stuff.  Let's get this show on the road and DO THIS THING.  Hopefully under 27 hours, but definitely under 30! 

3 comments:

  1. Hey! Why didn't you invite your coach??

    Tim Neckar

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean Allen did not invite you? He was supposed to tell you when he dropped off the wine that Bruce and I bought for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim, now that is a bunch of CRAP! Jen, that was a good one!

    ReplyDelete