I am attempting to record my running adventures while chasing my goal of running the Western States 100. I want to chronicle the joy of running with friends, the fun of running alone, and the excitement of running trails.

I run primarily in the Houston area, which suffers from a trail deficiency. I also spend some time in the Austin area. I love to race and I enjoy using races as training runs for other races. Occassionally, I will get over excited on my "training race/runs" and run too fast (go figure). Luckily, I have a trail-ultra running husband who understands this craziness and tries to keep me grounded (not to mention hydrated, rested, and paced properly.)

I want to share my ups and downs, my successes and failures and try to keep motivated to my ultimate goal. Plus, if I share all of my bone-headed mistakes with you-- you will not have to make them!



Sunday, June 12, 2011

Last Training Run 06/11/11 !!!!

Where: Huntsville State Park
When: 5:00 am
Start temperature: 74 degrees, 92% humidity

End time: 2:15 pm
End Temperature: 96 degrees, 32% humidity (Devil's Thumb here I come!!)

Total run time: 8 hours 10 minutes
End Mileage: 39 miles!!!

Bruce and I decided to go to Huntsville State Park to run since it was my last long run before WS 100.  I was advised by my coach, Tim Neckar (and others) that one more push would ensure that I am ready.  Allen made the drive and joined us to start at 5:00 am.  Bruce and Allen were running 20 miles, and I was going to run the remainder on my own when they were done.  I also figured that the heat of the day would allow some additional heat acclimation before WS.

We started in the dark, the sun did not rear it's head until about 6 am.  That was also beneficial to have some of that good night-time running.  I remembered that I really do not like running in the dark, but we made it through.  The dark slowed us down for that first hour, and the humidity was stifling.  Not to mention the spiderwebs!! There must be thousands of hungry spiders out there, as we knocked down web after web.  The guys were done at about 10:30 and I had 19 or so more miles to do.  We were doing 10-11 mile loops and coming back to the car for replenishment of water/food.  With the high humidity and heat, this was about right.  I knew that I was going to be out there for a long time, so when we came in for refreshments, I really took my time and relaxed before I headed out for the next loop. 

I was surprised that I was not as negatively affected by the heat as I had thought I would be.  It helped a lot that the humidity dropped as the temperature rose.  I could tell that it was really hot on the last loop, but I stayed in the shade most of the time and just continued to push. I felt pretty good at the end, amazingly with no aches or pains.  My legs were not even sore- I felt like I had just run a easy 20.  I think that I really did the right thing and did not push my pace. 

Lessons Learned: 

1. Pacing is important - especially in the beginning of a long run.  SLOW down and take it easy. 
Allen
2. Espresso Gel all over your pacer's face is a hilarious way to forget how hot/tired you are.
3. Taking in a LOT more nutrition has had a serious POSITIVE effect.  (gel every 40 minutes- and real food at aid stations)
4. If you start feeling tired- it is likely time to eat more GU
5. Pringles and Coke are hands down the BEST aid station food in the world
6. Brooks Cascadia Trail Shoes and Wright Socks are the right combination for me (not one blister/ issue)
7. Huntsville State Park really is flat.....who knew?

3 comments:

  1. Wait until you observe the "new" pacer face tricks that I have planned for WS100 race day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve on race day! You are hilarious- one of the many qualities that makes you an awesome pacer. I still remember in RR100- you running up behind runners on the trail yelling, "elite runner coming through- make way, elite runner!!" Priceless.

    ReplyDelete