I am attempting to record my running adventures while chasing my goal of running the Western States 100. I want to chronicle the joy of running with friends, the fun of running alone, and the excitement of running trails.

I run primarily in the Houston area, which suffers from a trail deficiency. I also spend some time in the Austin area. I love to race and I enjoy using races as training runs for other races. Occassionally, I will get over excited on my "training race/runs" and run too fast (go figure). Luckily, I have a trail-ultra running husband who understands this craziness and tries to keep me grounded (not to mention hydrated, rested, and paced properly.)

I want to share my ups and downs, my successes and failures and try to keep motivated to my ultimate goal. Plus, if I share all of my bone-headed mistakes with you-- you will not have to make them!



Thursday, December 9, 2010

Races and Places

So, since moving to the DC area, I have run a couple of races and of course some awesome training runs.  I will start with the races:

On October 31, 2010, I ran the Marine Corps Marathon for a PR of 4:03.  I really really wanted to break 4 hours, but that (4:03) was the absolute best that I could do that day.  Bruce flew in for the weekend and was along the course as I ran.  What a nice bonus!  The weather was super- overall a wonderful race.  Many thanks to Sandra and Mike, as they helped me get into a race that was officially "closed."   Also, an unexpected bonus was that because there was some crazed sniper up here taking shots at Marine facilities in the days leading up to the marathon, so there was a ton of extra security. There were helicopters (police and military) constantly buzzing the route.  It was a nice diversion especially since as I thought at one point (around mile 20), that I may possibly die from this effort.  :-)

On November 20, 2010, I ran the inaugural Stone Mill 50 mile in  Damascus, MD.  This course did not seem to have any flat sections - constant rolling hills.  Not huge hills, but for a flat-lander it was quite a challenge.  Of course there were low temps at the start and a little (ankle deep) water crossing at mile 4 and 47-the usual ultra-running stuff.  They also decided that a 50 mile race was so blase' they would have a 51 mile race (with a 56 mile option).  Crazy ultra trail running people.  Gotta love em.  I finished in 10:47, which is one of my slowest 50 mile times, but the terrain was reasonably hard and I was semi-ready. 

I have semi-officially notified the Virginia Happy Trails Running club that I will also be running the Magnus Gluteus Maximus 50 km this weekend.  It is on the same course as a popular 50 miler (Run Bull Run).  I will let you know how that one goes.  I am not looking forward to the cold this weekend, but at least there will be about 180 other crazies out there with me!

2 comments:

  1. Will be thinking of you on your 50k while I'm doing my own down here in Huntsville. I think this one will be a little warmer than the one your running. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be thinking of you too. You guys have a good time in Huntsville- I sure miss that place. I am trying to find some other races in the area to keep my training mileage and interest up. :-)

    ReplyDelete