I am attempting to record my running adventures while chasing my goal of running the Western States 100. I want to chronicle the joy of running with friends, the fun of running alone, and the excitement of running trails.

I run primarily in the Houston area, which suffers from a trail deficiency. I also spend some time in the Austin area. I love to race and I enjoy using races as training runs for other races. Occassionally, I will get over excited on my "training race/runs" and run too fast (go figure). Luckily, I have a trail-ultra running husband who understands this craziness and tries to keep me grounded (not to mention hydrated, rested, and paced properly.)

I want to share my ups and downs, my successes and failures and try to keep motivated to my ultimate goal. Plus, if I share all of my bone-headed mistakes with you-- you will not have to make them!



Monday, December 20, 2010

New Trail Running Pals

So, last weekend while running the Fat Ass 50K, I met up with: Bob, the other Bob, Rob, and Sara. The main organizer of this informal group is Bob Gaylord.  He is apparently notorious for gathering stray runners and collecting them into an ad hoc trail running group on Saturday. He made me (and Toni) memorize his email address at the race so we could be added to his email list for Saturday morning runs.

True to his word, he send out a message on Thursday saying that he would like to meet up at the Hemlock Overlook at about 7:30 on Saturday for a 18-20 mile run. I answered the email that I would be there (not thinking at the time that the PERF Christmas party would in any way hinder my enjoyment of the run).  On Saturday morning, it was a crisp 25 degrees and 7 of us showed up for this run.  There was Bob (fast old guy- leader of the group), Sara (fun, fast runner from last week), Rob (Lightening- slowed down for us mortals), Casey (young pup Airforce Lieutenant), Denise (super sweet- I would-never-leave-you-behind-runner), Toni (the other "new" addition who will say anything!) and me.  If I had not participated in the "open bar" at the Christmas party the night before, I think that I would have enjoyed myself a lot more.  That said, I had a great time considering my physical state was less than optimal.  We did a 18 mile out and back along the course of the Run Bull Run 50 that is held in the spring. It was COLD at the beginning, but I eventually warmed up (though the temperature was not above freezing for the whole run.) 

Sara, Bob, and Rob would run ahead and wait for the rest of us to catch up. We would catch up, have some GU, enjoy some interesting conversation, and head out for another 5 miles or so.  There was still about 1 1/2 inches of snow on the trail- so that added some resistance for fun.  I have to say that the run was absolutely gorgeous.  The woods, the hills, the snow, the river and the good conversation really helped the time pass. Running in Virginia is quite a treat and I am happy that I am getting the opportunity to do it again.

So, we made it through the run, no one died, got left behind, fell in the river, puked,or otherwise suffered permanent injury.  Toni and I have been officially welcomed to join other runs.  We are all going our separate ways for the holidays, but will be getting together again after the first of the year.  I am so glad that I ran into these people, it was really enjoyable and I look forward to doing it again. Toni is hilarious and thanks to her- I will never think of plain GU in the same way again!

PS- I remember Bob telling me that he retired from the Army after 37 years, and I thought that he was probably pretty high in rank.  It turns out that he was....he was a brigadier general! Pretty impressive, and for a guy in his 60s-- he is smoking fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment