I am attempting to record my running adventures while chasing my goal of running the Western States 100. I want to chronicle the joy of running with friends, the fun of running alone, and the excitement of running trails.

I run primarily in the Houston area, which suffers from a trail deficiency. I also spend some time in the Austin area. I love to race and I enjoy using races as training runs for other races. Occassionally, I will get over excited on my "training race/runs" and run too fast (go figure). Luckily, I have a trail-ultra running husband who understands this craziness and tries to keep me grounded (not to mention hydrated, rested, and paced properly.)

I want to share my ups and downs, my successes and failures and try to keep motivated to my ultimate goal. Plus, if I share all of my bone-headed mistakes with you-- you will not have to make them!



Sunday, December 12, 2010

Magnus Gluteus Maximus 50K 12-11-10

Yesterday was my first "Fat Ass" event - so I was not sure what to expect.  For those of you who may not know, Fat Ass runs are held all over the country, they are somewhat "unofficial" events with no timing, no entry fee, no awards, and sometimes no aid.  Really it is just a bunch of people getting together for a really long training run.

The weather was COLD for a Texas girl. It was 25 at the start and "warmed" up to the 40s.  I did not take off any of my gear for the whole day.

The Virginia Happy Trails Running Club puts on this event every year.  "It is just like a large Christmas party for type A personalities," quoted the RD at the beginning "briefing." We went out into the cold for the start picture and then he said "go." I was surprised to hear that there would be a couple of aid stations that we would pass twice- I was not expecting aid stations.  They were self serve but fully stocked with water, Gatorade, and multiple snack options.  Oh yeah, there was also a bottle of Bourbon at the turnaround aid station, for anyone who wanted a swig. 

As usual, the trail running crowd is a friendly bunch and within the first 20 minutes I was chatting with a group of runners.  Bob and the other Bob were the most vocal, but they were all chatting and laughing at the start.  Bob #1 had recruited Karen at a marathon to try trail running, so he was accompanying her for 20 miles (another benefit of Fat Ass runs- you only do as much mileage as you feel like)- so they were turning back early.  Sara was in this group and was disappointed to learn that they were not going the whole distance.  Bob pointed out that I was doing the full 50K and that Sara and I could run together. This was a great suggestion.

Sara was a great running partner.  We soon left the other group and started out on our journey.  Thank God I had Sara to show me the route.  This is an area that she runs frequently, so she knows the trails- I would have been lost for sure.  The route is "blazed" and I am pretty good at following trails, but there are some wild turns in this route.  We talked about everything under the sun, kept our pace steady, spent way too much time at aid stations and generally had a pleasant day of running.  We finished in 6:57, my slowest 50K time, but the course was difficult and it was not a real "race"- we were just having fun.

We get back to the lodge (this is where we started too- warm with a lovely fireplace) and everyone was waiting for the second round of pizza to be delivered.  I took a quick shower, dropped in for a couple of slices of pizza before heading out for a evening filled with errands.  They also were fully stocked with beer at the end- but I was unable to partake- darn city car to drive.  I have to admit, I like this crowd.  Laid back, friendly and not afraid to toss a couple back at the end.  Feels like home. :-)

Bruce was running the Texas Trail 50K in Huntsville at the same time. (It was like we were running a 50K together- but not really). He had totally different weather and terrain, but he finished in 7:54.  I know that running in the heat is not his thing, so I know that it was difficult- it was in the mid 70s in the afternoon. Allen and Denise were also out in Huntsville battling the old "Sunmart" trails.  It sounds like they all had a great time too and I am sorry that I missed it- but I was with them in spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment