I am attempting to record my running adventures while chasing my goal of running the Western States 100. I want to chronicle the joy of running with friends, the fun of running alone, and the excitement of running trails.

I run primarily in the Houston area, which suffers from a trail deficiency. I also spend some time in the Austin area. I love to race and I enjoy using races as training runs for other races. Occassionally, I will get over excited on my "training race/runs" and run too fast (go figure). Luckily, I have a trail-ultra running husband who understands this craziness and tries to keep me grounded (not to mention hydrated, rested, and paced properly.)

I want to share my ups and downs, my successes and failures and try to keep motivated to my ultimate goal. Plus, if I share all of my bone-headed mistakes with you-- you will not have to make them!



Monday, September 27, 2010

First Adventure Race! 09-25-10

Bruce and I teamed up to be the "Houston Heat" again. We completed our first ever adventure race this past weekend at Rocky Hill Ranch.  We learned a valuable lesson, "Adventure racing is tough!"  The course started with a 3.10 mile trail run, which was pretty tough to begin with......then you got to mountain bike for 9 miles!  If you have ever run or biked at RHR- you know that it is a pretty technical course with a LOT of hills.  Add it a little brutal heat and humidity and you got yourself one tough race. Oh yeah- they also throw in some "mystery events" to make it more interesting.

We have done a few Muddy Buddys and we anticipated that this race would be a little harder.  It was unbelieveably harder!  We were exhausted and had to stop on the side of the trail a few times to catch our breath before resuming our race. Luckily we were not the only ones doing that.  We had a few goals for this race:
  1. Not to die
  2. Not to finish dead last
  3. To finish

We managed to accomplish all of those goals. We were 3rd place out of 5 teams in the Masters Co-Ed division.  Not a bad showing for our first effort.  We had a good time and I think that we will be looking to do a few of these races in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment