I am attempting to record my running adventures while chasing my goal of running the Western States 100. I want to chronicle the joy of running with friends, the fun of running alone, and the excitement of running trails.

I run primarily in the Houston area, which suffers from a trail deficiency. I also spend some time in the Austin area. I love to race and I enjoy using races as training runs for other races. Occassionally, I will get over excited on my "training race/runs" and run too fast (go figure). Luckily, I have a trail-ultra running husband who understands this craziness and tries to keep me grounded (not to mention hydrated, rested, and paced properly.)

I want to share my ups and downs, my successes and failures and try to keep motivated to my ultimate goal. Plus, if I share all of my bone-headed mistakes with you-- you will not have to make them!



Monday, September 13, 2010

23 miles- a "short" run weekend

I intended to do a few less miles than 20 this weekend, but with the Galloway group doing 23 miles, well....I just could not resist.  We started at 4:00 AM (Holy Cow that is early!) and we finished before it became too hot.  The Houston humidity did not disappoint.  It was a scorcher.  As usual, the group was pushing me to run and not pay attention to how far we had already gone.

We started at a good pace (thanks Donna) and we stayed pretty steady throughout the run. Michelle- you are amazing this year.  It was uneventful for me, although a few people had heat related issues.  This summer has been just brutal- you just never know when it is going to zap you.  Bruce did 10 and looked very strong at the end.  I think that his comeback is going great.  This coming weekend I have a 35 - 40 mile run scheduled.  I am not looking forward to that many hours alone.  Thankfully, once I run Cactus Rose, I will be using each race as a long run for the next race-- so no more loooong runs alone.  Looking forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment