I am attempting to record my running adventures while chasing my goal of running the Western States 100. I want to chronicle the joy of running with friends, the fun of running alone, and the excitement of running trails.

I run primarily in the Houston area, which suffers from a trail deficiency. I also spend some time in the Austin area. I love to race and I enjoy using races as training runs for other races. Occassionally, I will get over excited on my "training race/runs" and run too fast (go figure). Luckily, I have a trail-ultra running husband who understands this craziness and tries to keep me grounded (not to mention hydrated, rested, and paced properly.)

I want to share my ups and downs, my successes and failures and try to keep motivated to my ultimate goal. Plus, if I share all of my bone-headed mistakes with you-- you will not have to make them!



Monday, August 23, 2010

Saturday, August 21 - 20 miles of training fun

So what could be more fun than running your 20 mile training run with a head cold??  I felt the cold coming on around Tuesday and skipped my normal Thursday run in order to get additional rest. I knew that I had a long run this weekend and I really wanted to do it. However, when I showed up at 4:00 A.M (yes, that is correct, 4 AM) for our 20 mile training run on Saturday, I was not really anticipating a good time.  Anytime that you are running your long runs in the summer in Houston Texas, you are running in the heat.  Most likely if you are running long in August, you are running during a heat advisory (last Saturday was no exception.)

So, I show up, looking like death (and not feeling a lot better) to see my friends all dreading the long, hot, sticky run.  We took off and were determined to keep our pace slow (we actually did)- thanks Michelle.  :-)  We made it through the first 10 miles with no real issues.  I could not believe how good I felt.  It was amazing. No symptoms at all!  I joked that the virus decided to find a less active and less crazy host!  The next seven went by pretty quickly and we all realized that we would be finishing the full 20 today.  Allen was doing his usual stand-up routine to keep us entertained (Denise is a saint.)  We ran into Bruce as we were headed out for our final three and he turned around with us.  Allen and Bruce hung back a little and Michelle and I ran ahead.  It sure felt great finishing that run! 

I am constantly amazed at the wonderful people that I have as running partners.  I would never have been able to wrap my mind around that run without my buddies there to distract me.  Thanks guys!

I did remain in bed for the rest of the weekend.  Head cold is trying to hang on......

No comments:

Post a Comment