I am attempting to record my running adventures while chasing my goal of running the Western States 100. I want to chronicle the joy of running with friends, the fun of running alone, and the excitement of running trails.

I run primarily in the Houston area, which suffers from a trail deficiency. I also spend some time in the Austin area. I love to race and I enjoy using races as training runs for other races. Occassionally, I will get over excited on my "training race/runs" and run too fast (go figure). Luckily, I have a trail-ultra running husband who understands this craziness and tries to keep me grounded (not to mention hydrated, rested, and paced properly.)

I want to share my ups and downs, my successes and failures and try to keep motivated to my ultimate goal. Plus, if I share all of my bone-headed mistakes with you-- you will not have to make them!



Monday, August 30, 2010

Hotter N Hell 100- Wichita Falls, Texas 08/28/10

This weekend we headed to Wichita Falls to ride and run.  Bruce and Allen rode the 100K on Saturday.  They both did really great- there were a TON of other bikes, it was hot and very windy.  There was even some very serious accidents (one that required Life Flight)- thank goodness they were not involved in any.   They finished in time to shower and go get some lunch!  Denise and I met them at (2) rest stops (the only 2 that they stopped for).  It was a great day, but I was really glad that I was not riding. 

On Sunday, Allen and I ran the 1/2 Marathon trail run.  Bruce, Denise, and Paul ran the 10K trail run.  The weather is MUCH nicer in Wichita Falls in the morning than in Houston. It was in the high 60s with very low humidity at the start.  I told Allen the night before that my plan was the run the entire race (no walk-breaks) as it was only a 1/2 marathon and I would walk at rest stops, and steep uphills.  Let me just say that Allen thought that was a CRAZY idea.  I convinced him that it was a good idea and we both used that race plan for the day.  I ended up running a little faster, but he did ride 62 miles the day before and I did nothing.  Paul won 3rd place in his age group- which was great considering they grouped all of the 60+ runners together and he is a bit older than 60.  Big Congrats Paul!  Bruce and Denise both had good runs and enjoyed the course. I am impressed that anyone can run a trail race the day after riding 62 miles. I finished in 2:07- not bad for a pretty tough course.  Good enough for 2nd place in my age group. 

There were several people there doing the "triple threat"- that is an 11 mile Mountain bike race on Friday, riding the 100 mile on Saturday, and running the 1/2 marathon on Sunday. NUTS!   Bruce is now convinced that we need to do the triple threat next year.  I do not know what is wrong with him.  But maybe...  At these biking events, you never know who you will run into along the way.......

No comments:

Post a Comment