I am attempting to record my running adventures while chasing my goal of running the Western States 100. I want to chronicle the joy of running with friends, the fun of running alone, and the excitement of running trails.

I run primarily in the Houston area, which suffers from a trail deficiency. I also spend some time in the Austin area. I love to race and I enjoy using races as training runs for other races. Occassionally, I will get over excited on my "training race/runs" and run too fast (go figure). Luckily, I have a trail-ultra running husband who understands this craziness and tries to keep me grounded (not to mention hydrated, rested, and paced properly.)

I want to share my ups and downs, my successes and failures and try to keep motivated to my ultimate goal. Plus, if I share all of my bone-headed mistakes with you-- you will not have to make them!



Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Vacation + Alcohol = Very Little Training

I went home to Houston to go on a cruise vacation. We left Galveston on Sunday, January 23, 2011.  It was my Mom's 60th birthday and we treated her and my Dad to a cruise.  We had a wonderful time in the Caribbean and Mexico.  Unfortunately, there was not a lot of training on the cruise- at least not for me. There was a lot of eating and drinking, but not much running.  (Bruce did better than I did- he did 10 miles on Saturday, I just did not want to run 10 miles on the treadmill.)

I managed to run 20 miles (on the street--uggghhhh) on the Sunday before we left.  I ran 5-6 miles here and there, but did not log significant mileage. I was planning to run long again on Sunday, January 30, 2011- the day we returned.  Between unpacking, repacking (to head back to Virginia), spending some time with my doggies, and doing laundry, I was exhausted.  Ok, so no long run this week- no big deal.  I will be back on track in no time.

I am pacing Allen the last 40 miles of the Rocky Raccoon 100 this weekend.  Bruce and Denise are running the 50 miler- so I get to see them too.  I am volunteering for the race in the first 8 or so hours, then catching a little rest and pacing Allen for 40.  We are going to have so much fun!  It is going to be a blast- I have to think of some clever things to say to keep Allen interested in conversation. Other friends are planning to come out and help with crewing- it is going to be a reunion!

No comments:

Post a Comment