I am attempting to record my running adventures while chasing my goal of running the Western States 100. I want to chronicle the joy of running with friends, the fun of running alone, and the excitement of running trails.

I run primarily in the Houston area, which suffers from a trail deficiency. I also spend some time in the Austin area. I love to race and I enjoy using races as training runs for other races. Occassionally, I will get over excited on my "training race/runs" and run too fast (go figure). Luckily, I have a trail-ultra running husband who understands this craziness and tries to keep me grounded (not to mention hydrated, rested, and paced properly.)

I want to share my ups and downs, my successes and failures and try to keep motivated to my ultimate goal. Plus, if I share all of my bone-headed mistakes with you-- you will not have to make them!



Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year- New Trails 1-2-11

I flew back into DC on Saturday, January 1, 2011- so I missed a great 50K race that was held in Prince William Forest. Most of the people that I met on the trails were running that race.  Luckily for me, Bob is an animal and will run back to back; Casey is a party animal and needed to rest Saturday morning, and Jenny (Casey's sister-in-law) needed a long run on Sunday (17 miles), so I had some company on the trails.

Bob arranged for us to meet at Fountainhead Regional park and we ended up with a little over 17 miles. We ran on some trails that I had run before and a new one.  To be honest, it all looked new to me.  Bob told us that he was not going to do the whole run, as he had run 22 miles the day before- but we managed to convince him to stay with us.  Thankfully he did- I do not know those trails at all- I would have wondered around lost for hours.  We had a really great run. The weather was warmer than it has been (in the 50s at the start) but it lightly sprinkled on our run and got a little colder as the day went on.  Still, a very nice run- the trails were clear of snow this time and we ran along chatting about lots of stuff.

Jenny talked with Bob about "army stuff"- Casey and I talked food / restaurants, as usual.  Jenny and Bob determined that Casey and I watch entirely too much TV.    Bob told some stories of previous ultras sprinkled with his colorful commentary. Typical trail run- you learn a lot about people on a trail. Not to generalize, but "you people" know what I am talking about.

Ok, so Jenny is this 23 year old Army 1st Lieutenant who is training for her first marathon in February.
1. She did not even break a sweat on this run.  - I don't know that she was even breathing hard at any point.  2. She would not have eaten anything if Bob had not insisted that she eat at mile 11.5.
3. She wants to do a 4:30 marathon- I do not think that will not be a problem at all.
Ahhhhhh to be 23......  Youth is wasted on the young!   LOL     :-)
    

No comments:

Post a Comment