I am attempting to record my running adventures while chasing my goal of running the Western States 100. I want to chronicle the joy of running with friends, the fun of running alone, and the excitement of running trails.

I run primarily in the Houston area, which suffers from a trail deficiency. I also spend some time in the Austin area. I love to race and I enjoy using races as training runs for other races. Occassionally, I will get over excited on my "training race/runs" and run too fast (go figure). Luckily, I have a trail-ultra running husband who understands this craziness and tries to keep me grounded (not to mention hydrated, rested, and paced properly.)

I want to share my ups and downs, my successes and failures and try to keep motivated to my ultimate goal. Plus, if I share all of my bone-headed mistakes with you-- you will not have to make them!



Wednesday, January 12, 2011

18 Miles - Jan 8, 2011

This weekend there were 4 of us running the trails.  Everyone else either decided that they had something better to do, or were taking some recovery time.  We met at Overlook Dam at 0715 on Saturday.  Bob, Toni, Meg and I were starting out together, then we were going to drop Meg off at the car at 12 miles and head back out.  Bob needed to catch a flight later in the day, so he needed to be done at noon.  We decided that whatever mileage we were at by noon would be enough.

I had never run with Meg before; although I had heard a lot about her.  She is a very talented  fast runner, who generally runs road races and primarily runs marathons or less.  She is super sweet - but a little naieve, not to worry; Toni and I took care of that!   Between our discussions of what Plain Gu and Flan have in common and preferred underwear choices- it was an interesting run.

The four of us are getting ready at the car and it starts to snow.  I told Bob that according to the Weather Channel it was supposed to snow 90% all morning long.  He did not exactly believe me.  As we headed down the trail it REALLY started snowing.  Snowing to the point it is sticking to your eyelashes and you can't see clearly.  We stopped at .75 miles to discuss our options.  We decided if the snow did not stop or lessen soon, we would head back.  Almost immediately, the snow shower lessened and it was bearable again.  The woods had a nice dusting and it was so beautiful. Seeing the unspoiled beauty like that really makes you appreciate trail running.

We dropped Meg off and headed back out for the rest of our run.  There were a surprising number of people on the trails.  There was a Viszla (gorgeous-dog breed) club out with their dogs.  We stopped for a few minutes to be smothered in attention.  I have to admit- this is the first medium size dog that I have really taken to- they are supposed to be one of the best breeds for trail running too.  There were also several groups of people who appeared to be with some sort of search and rescue group out practicing.  At least I hope that they were only practicing- because they were less than hurried in their manner.  They always had a smile and a friendly encouraging word.  We meandered through the woods talking about everything including upcoming races.  Toni is attempting to get me to run Holiday Lake 50K- as she and her friend Heather are doing it.  She is very persuasive..... we will see.

I will be away from the group for the next few weeks- what a bummer.  I have a 100K in NC that I managed to sneak into.  I have never done a 100K, so we will see how that goes.  I figured I could use the extra mileage, as the next two weekends are going to be tough to keep any reasonable mileage.  I have a lot of travel- and a cruise- coming up.  :)  I signed up for a 50K on February 26 in Maryland- so expect some updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment